Saturday, March 3, 2012

introduction

"A writer isn't one person pretending to be many people,
but many people pretending to be one.
"

I speak jokingly of 'the voices in my head' and have for a great many years now, so this quotation resonates with me at a gut level.

From the dancing-singing quartet I wrote about back when I was ten, to the current novel I'm working on, I've always had other people wandering about in my head.

Occasionally they managed to break out onto the page, but many have bided their time through the years, waiting, watching, wanting that glimpse of reality that my expression can give them.

Maybe they'll have their day. Maybe they'll sink into the depths of my grey matter as the Dance Group quartet did, their time come and gone with the years and my childhood. Or maybe they'll find their footing, climb up through the torturous vestiges of my brain to reach the light of day (or the glow of the computer screen?) and find shape and form on the page - and perhaps someday not just form on the page, but in other people's minds as they read my published stories.

We can hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment