Monday, June 9, 2014

So I need to get better at my reading/writing updates

Another year (and more), another update.

This update has mostly been brought on by the interest some quilting women showed in my book choice for the Perfect Picnic blog-hop run by SEW We Quilt: Nalini Singh's "Shield of Winter" and a conversation I had at my 20 year reunion.

Tired of asking the same old questions of all my former classmates, I figured I'd go off the rails a little (now I wish I'd gone off the rails more). I asked a friend who was a fellow library monitor with me at school whether she still read, and if so, what?

We got into a discussion about various books - Twilight, Shades of Grey, Harry Potter - she recommended Robin McKinley's Sunshine for good vampire stories, I recommended Nalini Singh for great worldbuilding.

(Note to self: questions to ask next school reunion:
- most interesting book you've read in the last month?
- most interesting concept you've learned...?
- what have you been challenged by in your spiritual life lately? (Obvs. mostly for fellow Christians.)
- most interesting article you've read?

It could prompt some arguments, but I don't think so. I think we're intelligent enough to at least see why other people might look at things differently, even if we disagree, sometimes virulently.)

Anyway, I'm once again thinking of writing pro-fic. Not actually writing the stuff, mind you, just thinking. But we're nearly halfway through the year and I promised my cousin's wife that I'd have a MS for her come Christmas (and she'd have an MS for me at the same time).

And I might go back to the Shadowkids: bullying, growing up, learning how to accept who you are, coming into your own. Themes that resonate with me a lot as I think about 20 years since I left school and how I've changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment